Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Duathlon!

Representing MSU Wrestling at CMU.
Mike and I completed our first duathlon over the weekend.  It was a fundraiser for the Red Cross held in Mt. Pleasant at CMU, the Out for Blood Duathlon & 5k.  We completed a 5k run and then a 20k bike.  I'm super proud to say that we both had respectable times.  We really enjoyed ourselves and look forward to the next challenge! 

I was very surprised by many things that day.  First, was the weather.  40 degrees, windy and rainy... not particularly fun.  The rain let up during the 5k which was nice for the bike, but it still sucked and the road was wet.  Secondly, I found out Saturday morning when I was getting around to head to the race, that I had over-indulged in alcohol the day before.  I was pretty rough around the edges and my 5k certainly showed it.  Running a 5k hungover was a bad idea.  I need to amend that for the next race.  Lastly, I had forgotten just how nervous my husband gets before competition.  I understand that this was his first ever race of any sort... but I was taken off-guard.  I mean, I get nervous, but he took it to a whole new level that morning.  He was just fine until we were in the car on the the way to the race and then he started asking questions.  That lead to a horrible puss on his face and anxiety about being ready in time.  Once we had gotten squared away he lightened a bit, but not really smiling until after we were done.  Thank goodness, for my sake, that he was smiling after!  We waited around for the results, but they were having difficulty, so we took off, grabbed some wings and a drink before heading home to watch some rugby.  It was a very nice day that we rounded off going out to watch the Squids live with some friends before collapsing in bed.  Triathlon here I come!

Muddy, wet ride.

No comments: