Monday, August 10, 2009

Sometimes You Want To Go...

...Where no one knows your name... duh duh duh...

I have been struck by the most terrible flighty bug of late. Probably for the last 8 or 9 months I've been craving an adventure. I want to leave my responsible adult life and try something new. I've really been struggling with it. I'm not really sure what has triggered it. My possible answers to my own questions are (in no particular order) 1. Finally finishing up my last few classes for my bachelors degree? 2. Having a child for a year? 3. Living in the same place for too long?

I just feel so locked down and permanent. Most people enjoy that feeling and unfortunately, it's driving me crazy! What to do? Thank goodness my wonderful husband said he'd follow me the world over if he needs to. What an amazing man.

I watched this expedition show on Discovery and it made me just want to take my pack and start walking. I read about another explorer that trekked from Beijing or something back to Germany. It was 3000 km. A totally insane idea, I know, but I want to do something crazy. Push to do something that few others have. Discover new places, new people, new things about myself...

I picked up On the Road by Kerouac after my visit to Hilary in January. It didn't help the itch I was already having and then my obsession was only fueled more by my recent discovery of my heritage. My grandfather traveled the railroad during the 1920's like a hobo. **Hello Revelation, my name is Becki.** He even got arrested once for being a vagrant! He just hopped on a train and went across the US. I had been wondering where my wanderlust came from and I don't think I have to ponder that question any longer.

But, the question that still remains is what to do about it???

**On a side note, I would like to emphasize (and re-assure all of my family that is reading) that I do not want to be arrested like my grandfather... for being a vagrant... or for any reason. He.

No comments: