Thursday, September 24, 2009

Down on the Farm

Guinness getting his first bath.

I've been working hard this week on projects. Most of my immediate projects are focused on the cold weather coming. Because it's going to be here before I know it! Last night was an annual bath for the goats and a thorough pen cleaning. Being gone and having friends do chores for us, two things happen. First, the goats are inside (not in the pasture) and that makes more waste on the floor for me to clean up, in comparison to when we're home. Secondly, our fantastic friends (I mean it. All who help us are amazing!!) that take care of our animals while we are away, do not clean barns. Not that I would ever expect them to, but it means when we are gone weekend after weekend... it just piles higher. Ugh.

Cleaning the barn.

All of the goats, except Pepsi, did not enjoy their bath. The two little ones, Tui and Guinness, wanted nothing to do with it. Bell I thought would be a bit calmer, but I ended up chasing her around the clothesline and almost falling many times. Pepsi, is my wonderful and calm goat. She chilled out and even gave me some kisses while getting her bath. What a sweetie!

Pepsi and I at bath time.

The big project this weekend, if we can avoid the rain, is the chicken coop. I would be ecstatic if Mike and I could get the remaining construction done so that I can get it painted, all the goodies installed and the chicken run up in the next week or so. I am going to need several weeks to get the small red barn cleaned out from the chickens and ready for the goats to live in again. I cannot wait to get some of these things done. It will make life for us, the goats and the chickens so much better!

No comments: