Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Inspiration

Last night Mike & I had over our friends and newest neighbors (note: country ideas of neighbors is different than most... they live within 10 miles of us) over for dinner and I got to be the hostess with the mostest. I love playing hostess and cooking up a feast. Last night was a roasted red pepper fougasse, Moroccan pot pie and mixed green salad. It was topped off by Brian's delicious "gluten free" apple pie. It was so much fun, not only because our friends are great, but because I love cooking for people. The kitchen is just one of my happiest places.

So then, this morning I was reading one of my favorite foodie blogs, David Lebovitz's Living the Sweet Life in Paris, and a vision of inspiration came to me. I've been looking for something to make me more fulfilled in an creative sense and I think I've found it. On David's blog I was reading about a private supper club in Paris that was donating a place at one of their dinners for the Menu of Hope fundraiser that David is hosting on his blog. (A really fantastic cause by the way, all money raised gets donated to the United Nations World Programme's Purchase for Progress program, which assists low-income farmers to raise crops and support their local economies.) Anyways, back to the inspiration, I had heard about private supper clubs/underground restaurants before and thought that I would love to belong to one.

What would be better than that? How about hosting one? A private, members only dinner where I could spend a whole day cooking an amazing dinner that I could share with other people who enjoy great food. My friends and I often remorse about the vast lack of good restuarants in our area. I don't have the time or ambition to start a cafe or restaurant, but what if I could create one once a month? Sounds extremely fulfilling and utterly like something I was called to do. If I hadn't had our friends over for dinner last night and read that blog this morning, would this ever have occurred to me? It's amazing what the smallest things in your life can combine together to inspire. Excited about the possibilities...

1 comment:

Christine B said...

Sounds great, Becki! It's only creativity when you let it out ...