Thursday, May 9, 2013

How Many "I'm Back" Blogs Can One Person Write?

As you may be able to tell by this blog in general, I'm not particularly good at writing consistently.  Although I always have the best of intentions, I just fail sometimes.  I cannot find a copy of her speech now, but I remember Maya Angelou saying something at my graduation from MSU like, "I often fail at what I set out to do, but when I get up the next day I try to do just a little bit better than I did the day before."  I probably slaughtered what she actually said, but it has always stuck in my head in that manner.  So, I was never a diary writer and all my plans of keeping records for numerous personal things have never lasted more than a few days or weeks.  I'm always trying new things though and I thought of a new strategy for blogging today... so I shall try and do a little bit better in blogging than I have in the past.  I'm trying it out anyways, we shall see where it goes.  My blog beginning now will be about no one thing.  It will be straight up, willy nilly musings by yours truly.  Blogs could vary from race reports to my latest food or fashion obsession.  I just can't be pinned down to one thing, I'm much too rambunctious for that.

Today will be on my polka dot skirt.  Yup, you read it right.  My sister and I started going to estate sales a little over a year ago.  This made my occasional thrift store habit of buying clothes from other eras kick into high gear.  I have been snapping up "vintage" clothing like a mad woman ever since.  PS. To anyone wavering over the use of vintage in today's society, I already agree with your sentiments.  But, it does sound nicer than pre-worn or used clothes, so I shall use it.  

After I spent $30 (higher price than I would usually pay) on a stunning 1960-1970 dress the other day, I told Mike that I am, "Procuring a very stellar historical wardrobe and one day someone will appreciate it as much as I do."  I was doubly happy to be able to wear a vintage slip as well today.  It's very long and most of my dresses and skirts won't work with it.  Speaking of slips...  WARNING RANT BEGINNING: I think that the undergarment has been maligned by current fashion and I personally revel in old slips when I can find them.  I refuse to squeeze into those spanx-y things the current society think suffice for slips.  I wear skirts and dresses so that I'm not restricted by pants.  The last thing I'm going to do is put a restricting set of spandex pants on underneath a skirt!  This officially ends the rant portion for of the blog for today.  

I picked up this number at a sale in west Lansing a few months ago.  It was much too cold to wear until recently and I wasn't all that sure how I was going to make it work for the office.  I think I figured it out today.  So, how about a pic of my pretty polka dot skirt and slip?

I got several compliments on it today.  It's very summery!

No comments: